Popping Candy Cupcakes by Baking Mad
For the cupcakes
- 100g Plain white flour
- 140g Unrefined golden caster sugar
- 1tsp Salt
- 1½tsp Baking powder
- 120ml Milk (whole)
- 40g Cocoa powder
- 40g Butter (unsalted)
- 1 Egg(s) (free range) large
For the buttercream
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (or 170°C fan) and line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
- Mix together the softened butter, sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt on a low speed until you reach the texture of breadcrumbs.
- Put the egg into a separate bowl and whisk lightly. Add the milk and continue to mix before gradually pouring into the dry mixture. Blend all the ingredients together on a low speed, gradually increasing to a medium speed until the consistency becomes smooth and thick.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases, filling them 2/3 full. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until risen and springy to the touch.
- Leave to cool fully on a wire rack.
- To make the buttercream, blend together the sugar, vanilla extract, milk, and butter until it forms a smooth buttercream. Continue to mix and sprinkle in the popping candy.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, carefully cut the centre out of each cupcake and fill with the vanilla buttercream. Pipe the remaining buttercream on the top of the cupcakes, dust with gold lustre, and top with an indoor sparkler for an extra special effect. (Remember to be extra careful when lighting the sparklers).
Content continues after advertisements