By Sophie Turhnam from Sophie Victoria Cupcakes I’ve wanted to make surprise cupcakes for a while now. I’ve seen these used as a gender reveal technique for baby shower cupcakes and loved the idea… But I thought what cuter way to show someone you love them on Valentine’s Day than by putting a littler edible pink heart inside their cupcake?! To create 12 of these cupcake delights, you will need:
For the Pink Hearts:
55g butter, softened 55g caster sugar 55g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder Pinch tsp salt ½ tsp vanilla extract 1 eggs Pink Gel Colouring (¼ tsp)
For the Vanilla Cupcakes:
110g butter, softened 110g caster sugar 110g plain flour 2 tsp baking powder ¼ tsp salt 1tsp vanilla extract 2 eggs
For the Vanilla Frosting:
280g icing sugar 140g butter, softened 1 – 2 tbsp whole milk Pink Gel Colouring
- Preheat the oven to 190 C (Gas mark 5) and line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Whisk together the; butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt until smooth. Then add the eggs, vanilla extract and pink gel colouring and mix until smooth again.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake for 20 mins until well risen and springy to touch then put on a wire rack to cool.
Once the Cupcakes are cool, slice in half horizontally and then cut out 2 hearts per cupcake. Place in the freezer until just frozen. (Of course you can pick any shape and colour you like, a number might be nice for a child’s birthday party or a teddy for a baby shower).
Step 2: For the Cupcakes:
- Whisk together the; butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt until smooth. Then add the eggs, vanilla extract and mix until smooth again. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases about 1/3 full then take the pink hearts out the freezer and place into the cupcake cases. Next put the remaining mixture into the cupcake cases until 2/3 full and the hearts are just covered. Bake for 20 mins until well risen and springy to touch, then put on a wire rack to cool. As the cupcakes cook the pink hearts will defrost.
Step 3: For the Vanilla Frosting:
- Sift the icing sugar and beat together with the pink gel colouring, butter and milk until smooth.
Spoon your icing into the piping bag and pipe swirls on top of the cupcakes