The third week of the Great British Bake Off saw contestants challenged to make meringue. Inspired by what she saw, Sophie Turhnam from Sophie Victoria Cupcakes uses a classic meringue recipe to bake some truly tasty cupcakes...
Lemon meringue cupcakes
For the lemon cupcakes (makes 12): 110g butter, softened 110g caster sugar 110g plain flour 2 tsp baking powder ¼ tsp salt 1tsp vanilla extract 2 eggs grated zest of 1 lemon For the meringue and filling: 200g caster sugar 4 egg whites 70g lemon curd (filling) Step 1: For the lemon cupcakes:
- Whisk together the; butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt until smooth. Then add the eggs, milk and lemon zest mixing until smooth again.
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases and spoon the mixture into the paper cases about 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes until well risen and springy to touch, then put on a wire rack to cool.
Step 2: For the meringue and filling:
- Bring the sugar to the boil (in 150ml of water, or just enough so the sugar is covered in your saucepan), then boil for 5 - 10 minutes until it has reached the soft ball stage.
- Meanwhile mix the egg whites in a free standing whisk until just foamy
- Increase the mixer speed to medium then add the sugar. Then increase the speed to high until the base of your mixing bowl is luke warm and your meringue has roughly doubled in size.
- Using a cupcake corer, take the centres out of your cupcakes and fill with lemon curd.
- Spoon the meringue onto the cupcakes when cooled, creating spikes with your spoon. Then to finish, use a blowtorch, cook the top of the meringue.