These tasty spiced rhubarb cupcakes are delicious eaten on their own but make a great dessert when served with whipped cream, crème fraîche or Greek yoghurt.
Spiced Rhubarb CupcakesPreparation time 30 mins Baking time 15-20 mins plus cooling Makes 12 For the syrup:
- 300g forced pink rhubarb, washed with ends removed
- 50g Demerara sugar
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 170g butter, softened
- 170g golden caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 170g self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- For the syrup, cut the washed rhubarb into small chunks and place in a small heavy based pan. Add the Demerara sugar, mixed spice and 2 tsp of cold water. Cover with a good fitting lid and cook over a gentle heat for approximately 6-8 mins until soft. Remove the lid and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4 then grease a 12 hole muffin tin. For the cakes, cream together the butter and caster sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one.
- Sieve together the flour, baking powder and mixed spice then fold into the creamed mixture using a metal spoon. Add 1/3 of the cooked rhubarb and mix together lightly until just combined.
- Fill each hole in the muffin tin approximately 2/3 full with the batter then bake for 15-20 mins. Remove from the tin while still warm then allow to cool on a cooling rack. Top with a spoonful of the cooked rhubarb in syrup when ready to serve.
Content continues after advertisements