Sticky Toffee Cupcakes
- Dr. Oetker Muffin Cases
- 150 g Dates pitted, finely chopped
- 15 ml Treacle (1 tbsp)
- 115 g Unsalted Butter (4 oz)
- 75 g Light Brown Sugar (3 oz)
- 5 ml Dr. Oetker Select Vanilla
- Extract with Seeds (1 tsp)
- Medium Eggs x 2, beaten
- 115 g Self-Raising Flour (4 oz)
- Dr. Oetker Bicarbonate of Soda Sachet (1 tsp)
- 100 g Dr. Oetker Fudge Chunks
For the Decoration:
- 125 g Unsalted Butter (4 ½ oz) softened
- 225 g Icing Sugar (8 oz)
- 5 ml Dr. Oetker Caramel Flavour (1 tsp)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C Fan, Gas Mark 5).
- Line a muffin tin with 12 Muffin Cases. Put the dates in a saucepan with 150ml (¼ pt) water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for about 5 minutes until soft and pulpy. Remove from the heat, stir in the treacle and mix well. Leave to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter with the sugar until creamy in texture. Stir in the cold date mixture and Vanilla Extract and whisk in the eggs.
- Sift the flour and Bicarbonate of Soda on top. Add 50g (2oz) Fudge Chunks and carefully mix all the ingredients together until well blended.
- Divide the mixture between the Muffin Cases and bake in the oven for 22-25 minutes until risen and just firm to the touch.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Wrap and store for 24 hours to allow the flavour and texture to develop. A sticky layer will form at the bottom of each cake whilst the top is light and spongy.
- To decorate, place the butter in a bowl and beat until soft. Gradually sift and mix in the icing sugar to make a smooth, creamy icing. Mix in the Caramel Flavour.
- Spread a generous amount of icing on top of each cake using a small palette knife and top each with a few pieces of the remaining Fudge Pieces to serve.
Tip from the Test Kitchen For an extra smooth sponge, purée the cooked date mixture using a blender for a few seconds until smooth.