These delicious little morsels make great canapés and a perfect vegetarian companion to our sausage rolls in a picnic basket or on the buffet table.
Red Pesto and Goats Cheese PalmiersPreparation time 10 mins - Baking time 10-12 mins - Makes 20
- 375g pack ready rolled all butter
- puff pastry, at room temperature
- 2 - 3 tbsp sundried tomato pesto
- 75g goats cheese crumbled
- Fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/ gas mark 6 and grease two baking trays.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the pastry to a large rectangle the thickness of a pound coin and cut lengthways into two long rectangles. Spread the pesto over the pastry, then crumble the goats cheese over and sprinkle with the shredded basil.
- With each piece, roll up one side of the pastry to the middle, then repeat on the opposite edge to meet in the middle. Cut into 20 slices, lay on the prepared trays and bake for 10-12 mins until risen and golden.
- Serve sprinkled with finely grated fresh salty parmesan as a seasoning and watch them disappear.
- You can use any flavour pesto and add any herbs that you have to make these quick tasty canapés.
- You could add a scattering of toasted pine nuts for added crunch and flavour.
- You can also make sweet fillings too, chocolate and orange spring immediately to mind, just sprinkle with sugar when removed from the oven.