This Cheddar and Apple Rough Puff Pie from Wyke Farms is the ultimate savoury dish to please the whole family!
- 250g Plain Flour
- 125g Wyke Farms Farmhouse Salted Butter, cold
- 100g Wyke Farms Mature Cheddar
- 120ml Cold Water
- 1 Unwaxed Lemon
- 1kg Cooking Apples
- 25g Fresh Breadcrumbs
- 25g Walnuts
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 100g Unrefined Caster Sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 75g Wyke Farms Mature Cheddar, grated
- 1 Egg, beaten with a little milk
- Place the flour into a large bowl. Cut the butter into cubes and add to the flour. Rub the butter into the flour – just a little using your fingers, still leaving some larger pieces in. This will give the pastry a lovely, flakey texture. Stir in the Cheddar and finally the water. Bind everything together and knead gently to form a soft ball. Cover with cling film and place in the refrigerator for ½ hour.
- When the pastry is ready, preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 8.
- Grate the zest from the lemon and set aside.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon and pour into a large bowl filled with water.
- Peel and slice the apples, putting them into the lemon water as you do, to stop them from going brown.
- Once all the apples are done, drain them in a colander and leave to dry for a few minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a piece of floured, non-stick baking parchment into a rough, 30cm round.
- Blitz together the breadcrumbs and walnuts in a food processor, to a coarse crumb. Sprinkle this over the centre of the pastry. This will stop the apples from making the pastry soggy.
- Add the cinnamon, sugar and lemon zest to the apples and mix together well. Arrange these on top of the breadcrumb mix. Sprinkle over the Cheddar.
- Fold up the pastry over the apples, about 1/3 of the way up, all the way round the pie to form the crust.
- Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle over the extra sugar.
- Slide the pie onto a baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 180C/Gas 6 and bake for a further 20-25 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden.
- Serve warm with cream or custard.