Sausage rolls are enjoyed by pretty much everyone and they are the perfect snack to keep your guests satisfied.
This simple but effective recipe with a twist, from GBBO’s Richard Burr and created using AEG’s SteamBoost Oven and MaxiSense Pure Induction Hob is perfect to enjoy with family, friends and fleeting guests!
Spiced Sausage Rolls and Cranberry Chutney
Ingredients:For the sausage rolls:
- 100g puff pastry
- 75g unseasoned sausage meat
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ teaspoon of chilli flakes
- The zest of half an orange (save the other half for the chutney)
- 10g sage leaves (roughly chopped)
- 1 egg
- Flour for dusting
- 1 small red onion
- 170g fresh cranberries
- 100g caster sugar
- The zest of half an orange
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Put the sausage meat, salt, chilli and sage in to a bowl and zest half an orange over the mixture, mix thoroughly with a spoon.
- Finely dice the red onion and soften over a low heat until translucent.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll out the pastry to 10x20cm.
- Shape the sausage meat in to a ball and cover in flour, then roll out on the floured surface to 20cm long.
- Lay the sausage meat on to the pastry and paint one edge of the pastry with beaten egg.
- Fold the pastry over the sausage and seal onto the egg coated edge.
- Cut the sausage roll in to 4 pieces and brush with beaten egg. Slash with diagonally with a knife and bake for 20 minutes at 200°C
- Take 4og cranberries, cut them in half and set aside.
- Tip the remaining 130g of the cranberries in to the pan with the softened onions. Over a low heat add the sugar, salt, vinegar, cayenne and remaining zest.
- Stir constantly for 5-10 minutes until the sugar has melted, then turn the heat up to a medium heat and continue stirring until the cranberries burst.
- Take off the heat and stir in the remaining uncooked cranberries, then decant in to jars or bowls for dipping.
Content continues after advertisements