A comforting simple pastry with semolina woken up with tangy blackcurrant and crème de cassis! What more could you ask for in a blackcurrant tart?
Serves 10-12 | Preparation time 30 mins plus chilling | Baking time 40 mins
For the pastry:
- 200g plain flour, sifted
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 100g cold butter, diced plus extra for greasing
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt
- 100ml cold water
For the blackcurrant filling:
- 300g blackcurrants, stalks removed
- 2 tbsp crème de cassis
- 2 tbsp water
- 50g golden caster sugar
For the semolina topping:
- 500ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 150g semolina
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 250g golden caster sugar
- For the pastry, place the flour, sugar, butter, vegetable oil and salt in a large bowl. Rub in the ingredients using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Gradually add the cold water, mixing until a crumbly dough starts to form - do not overwork the dough. If the dough is too crumbly add a little more water but if it is wet and sticky, sprinkle with a little more flour. Form the dough into a ball with your hands, dust with flour, wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- For the filling, place the blackcurrants, crème de cassis, water and sugar in a pan and cook over a medium heat for up to 10 mins until the mixture resembles a coulis. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- For the topping, pour the milk into another pan and add the vanilla. Bring to a boil then stir in the semolina. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 5 mins before adding the egg yolks whilst stirring quickly.
- Place the egg whites and salt in a clean grease free bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form. Add the sugar and whisk briefly then fold into the semolina mixture using a spatula.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/ gas mark 4 and grease a 25cm tart tin with butter. On a lightly floured surface, roll the chilled pastry dough out into a circle big enough to line the base and sides of the tart tin. Gently ease the pastry into the prepared tin and trim any excess flush with the edges of the tin. Prick the pastry base all over with a fork and chill in the fridge for 15 mins.
- Pour the blackcurrant filling into the pastry case, cover with the semolina topping and smooth the surface with a spatula. Place on a hot preheated baking sheet and bake for 40 mins or until golden.