These beautifully rich and creamy Iced Choux Buns by Dr. Oetker will satisfy any guest at your next dinner party!
Chocolatey Iced Choux Buns
- 50g (2oz) Lightly salted butter
- 65g (2 ½ oz) Plain flour
- 2 Medium eggs, beaten
- 2 x 100g pouch Dr. Oetker Easy Ice Chocolate
- 300ml (½ pt) Double cream
- 20g (4tsp) Icing sugar
- A few drops Dr. Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 200C (180C fan oven, 400F, gas 6). Line a large baking tray with baking parchment. Put the butter in a saucepan with 150ml (1/4 pint) water.
- Heat gently until melted then bring to the boil. Turn off the heat and immediately mix in the flour, beating well until thick, glossy and smooth–the mixture should form a soft ball of dough in the saucepan. Transfer to a heatproof bowl and cool for 10 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the eggs to make a thick, sticky mixture. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm (2/3 inch) wide plain nozzle and pipe 16 buns onto the baking tray approx. 3cm (1 ¼ inch) diameter. Bake for 25 minutes until puffed up and golden.
- Carefully pierce the side of each bun with the point of a sharp knife – take care as there will be a release of hot steam from the centre. Put back on the baking tray and pop in the oven for a further 8-10 minutes until richly golden and very crisp. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When ready to serve, slice each bun through the middle using a serrated knife.Put the tops on a wire rack over a board. Following the directions on pack, prepare the Easy Ice. Squeeze a little icing on to the top of each bun, and spread it with a knife to cover the top evenly. Leave aside for a few minutes until set.
- Meanwhile, whip the cream until softly peaking. Sift the icing sugar on top and add a few drops Vanilla Extract. Gently mix together. Generously spoon the cream into the bases of the choux buns or spoon the cream into a piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm (2/3 inch) plain nozzle and pipe into each.
- Once the icing has set, sit the tops onto the cream filled bases. Your iced choux buns are now ready to serve and enjoy!