These express egg and dairy free croissants are tasty, flaky and melt in the mouth!
These delicious express and and dairy-free croissants are perfect for a weekend breakfast. Makes 8
- 120ml (4fl oz) lukewarm water
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 25g (1oz) yeast
- 350g (12oz) flour
- 30ml (1fl oz) vinegar
- 20ml (¾fl oz) oil
- a pinch of salt
- ½ banana, peeled, mashed
- 130g (4½oz) dairy-free margarine or spread
- 2 tbsp oil to glaze
- In a large bowl, combine the lukewarm water with sugar and yeast and set aside until it starts to froth up. Mix in the flour, vinegar, salt, oil and mashed banana, and knead into a soft, smooth dough. Cover with clingfilm and rest in the fridge overnight.
- Divide into eight equal pieces and roll each out on a floured work surface. Grate the margarine if hard. Spread an equal amount of margarine on seven of the dough pieces and layer them onto each other. If the margarine becomes too soft, rest in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
- Roll out the chilled dough and cut into eight triangles/wedges. Take each triangle in turn and pull the two corners at the base to stretch and widen it. Starting at the base of each triangle, begin to gently roll into a crescent/croissant, being careful not to crush the dough. Continue rolling, making sure the tip of each triangle ends up tucked under the croissant to hold in place. If adding any fillings, place across the widest part of the triangle before rolling up. If so desired, bend the ends of the croissants inwards, then transfer to baking trays lined with baking parchment, spaced well apart.
- Cover with lightly oiled clingfilm and leave to rise for 2 hours, or until doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 180-190°C/Gas Mark 4-5. Generously glaze the croissants with oil.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until risen and golden brown, then cool on wire racks.