For mince pies with a difference try this recipe with a crumbly, textured pastry and a delicious nutty layer. They’re gluten free too so your wheat free guest can enjoy them as well!
Polenta Pastry Mince Pies with a Pecan StreuselPreparation time 40 mins Baking time 15 mins Makes 12 For the pastry:
- 200g good quality polenta flour
- 100g butter, cut into small cubes
- 25g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- Gluten free flour for dusting
- For the filling:
- 275g mincemeat
- 50g pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 200g icing sugar, sifted
- 4 tbsp warm water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4 then grease a 12 hole bun tin.
- Place the polenta in a large bowl then rub in the butter using your fingertips (this is not quite as easy as with wheat flour so may take a little longer) until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar then bring together with 2 tbsp cold water firstly using a round ended knife and then pressing together firmly with your hands.
- As the pastry is quite delicate, cut it into four so you can work in small pieces rather than one large piece. Dust your work surface with gluten free flour then roll out one piece of pastry to about 4-5mm in thickness. Cut out circles with an 8cm cutter. Gently ease the circles into the greased tin, if the pastry cracks just press it back together. Roll and cut the remaining three pieces of pastry as before then press any leftover pieces together, re-roll and cut until all the pastry is used up.
- Fill the pastry cases with mincemeat so they are about ¾ full. Mix together the pecans and brown sugar and scatter over the top of the mincemeat. Bake for 15 mins until golden and bubbling. Leave in the tin for a few mins then very gently remove from the tin while still warm and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- For the icing, mix the icing sugar with 4tbsp of warm water to create a thick pouring consistency. Gradually add a little more water if the icing is too thick. Pour the icing over the top of the mince pies so the filling is completely covered.
Content continues after advertisements