Juicy blueberries add a delicious and colourful twist to this classic dessert.
Lemon and Blueberry Meringue Pie
Preparation time 50 mins - Baking time 35 mins (20 mins followed by 15 mins) - Serves 8
Content continues after advertisements
For the pastry:
- 225g plain flour
- 100g butter, cold and diced
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2-3 tbsp water
- For the filling:
- Zest and juice of 3 lemons (approx 150ml)
- 90g butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 100ml water
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp corn flour dissolved in 50ml water
- 175g blueberries
For the meringue:
- 4 egg whites
- 200g caster sugar
- For the pastry, place the flour in a large bowl and rub in the butter using your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar then add the egg yolk and enough water to bring the mixture together. Lightly knead the pastry until smooth then wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 mins.
- Grease the base and sides of an 18cm round deep pie dish. Roll the chilled pastry out onto a well floured surface so it is big enough to line the base and sides of the prepared tin. Trim the excess leaving a 2cm overhang then fold the overhang underneath the rim and crimp neatly. Prick the base of the pastry a few times with a fork. Chill for 30 mins, towards the end of this time preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6.
- Line the chilled pastry case with baking paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 mins then remove the baking beans and paper and bake for a further 10 mins until the pastry is lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- For the filling, mix the lemon zest and juice, butter, sugar and 100ml water together in a large pan. Whisk the egg yolks in a jug until pale then add the corn flour dissolved in water and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Heat the pan over a medium heat until the butter and sugar have melted and the mixture is just below boiling point. Whilst continuously whisking the eggs in the jug, pour in the melted butter and sugar mixture whisking until fully combined. Transfer the mixture to the pan and heat whilst stirring continuously. Bring to the boil and cook for a further 2 mins until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and lightly stir in the blueberries until just combined. Add the filling to the pastry case and set aside.
- For the meringue, whisk the egg whites in a large clean bowl until foamy. Whilst whisking, gradually add the sugar one spoonful at a time until fully incorporated then whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Top the pie filling with the meringue, spreading it gently to the edge of the pastry case to seal in the filling. Bake for 15-18 mins until lightly golden. Allow to cool fully before chilling completely in the fridge.