This Pumpkin Meringue Pie is Thanksgiving with a twist, a recipe devised by Dr. Oetker and master baker Juliet Sear.
Try out this incredible Pumpkin Meringue Pie as a delicious, crowd pleasing dish to celebrate Thanksgiving.
Pumpkin Meringue Pie
Recipe is suitable for a 9” fluted flan tin.
Content continues after advertisements
- 275g plain flour
- 190g butter, cold cut into small cubes
- 60g golden caster sugar
- 1 large egg yolk set in a small glass of iced water
For the filling:
- 2 large eggs
- 125 golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Large pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp Dr. Oetker Select Vanilla Extract with Seeds
- 275g tin pumpkin puree
- 200 ml evaporated milk
- 2 sachets of Dr Oetker egg white powder
- 100g white caster sugar
- To make the pastry, put the flour and butter into a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs (alternatively, rub the butter into the flour using your fingers)
- Add the golden caster sugar and pulse a couple of times (or stir) to combine.
- Next add the egg yolk and 1 tbsp of the iced water and pulse (or stir with a blunt-ended cutlery knife) until the pastry comes together. Do not over process, or the pastry will be tough. Bring pastry together into a disc with your hands, wrap in cling film and chill for 30min.
- Lightly dust a work surface with plain flour and roll out the pastry and use to line the tin. It may break up in places but simply patch up where is needed. Prick base with a fork and chill for a minimum of 30 min. [You can do this a few hours in advance which helps to prevent any pastry shrinking].
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan) mark 6. Line the pastry case with a large square of baking parchment, it helps if you scrunch it up then open it out, as it will sit closer into the case, then fill with ceramic baking beans or uncooked rice. Put the tin on a baking sheet, then bake for 15-20min. Carefully remove the parchment and beans or rice, return the tin to the oven and bake for a further 5-8min, or until the pastry is cooked through and golden.
- TOP TIP – to avoid a soggy bottom, as soon as you remove it from the oven while scorching hot, brush all over the hot pastry with egg white, this will seal the pastry.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla using electric beaters until pale and fluffy, about 2/3min. add the spices and whisk again. Now stir the pumpkin puree in gently and lastly the evaporated milk, keeping it aerated.
- Pour into cooked pastry case and reduce oven temp to 180°C (160°C fan) Return the tart to the oven and cook for 45-50min or until the filling feels lightly firm. Leave to cool completely, then add your toasted meringue topping.
- Mix up the egg white according to pack instructions.
- Whisk until stiff peak constancy with an electric hand whisk, stand mixer or by hand.
- Once stiff, add the sugar approximately 2 tablespoons at a time, whisking thoroughly between each addition until you have a stiff and glossy meringue.
- Spoon the meringue and create fluffy peaks across the top of your pie, finish by torching lightly with a cooks blow torch, or carefully under a grill until the meringue is toasty and crisp.
Serve with vanilla ice cream, whipped double cream or crème fraiche as desired.