Cherry Bakewell is a British classic that makes a very satisfying slice… with delicious sponge, lots of almond flavour and sweet cherry jam.
Cherry Bakewell Bars
Makes 16 bars | Preparation time 20 mins | Baking time 40 mins plus 30 mins chilling
For the pastry:
- 225g plain flour
- 100g butter, cold diced
- 1 egg yolk
- 2-3 tbsp water to combine
For the filling:
- ½ jar cherry jam
- 100g semolina
- 200g ground almonds
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g melted butter, cooled slightly
- 3 eggs
- 2-3 drops almond extract
- 250g icing sugar, sifted
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 8 glacé cherries, halved
- To make the pastry rub the butter into the flour in a large bowl until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and enough water to bring the pastry together. Knead lightly till smooth, wrap in clingfilm and chill for half an hour.
- Pre heat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/ gas mark 4 and grease 1 x 8” square tray bake tin. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line the tin, trimming away any excess pastry. Add the jam to the base of the pastry case and spread evenly using the back of a spoon.
- Combine the semolina, ground almonds, caster sugar, melted butter, eggs and almond extract beating together with a wooden spoon until the mixture is even. Add large spoonfuls of the mixture across the top of the jam and encourage them to join together with the back of spoon gently to cover the jam layer completely. Bake in the oven for 40-50 mins. Remove from the oven and allow to cool fully.
- Once cooled fully mix together the icing sugar and water to a fairly thick consistency. Pour over the top and add the 16 cherry halves evenly spaced.
- Allow the icing to set fully before cutting into 16 squares and serving.
* Will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Instead of glacé cherries use toasted flaked almonds as an alternative topping.