Gooseberries are the perfect combination of a sweet and sour fruit that will delight your taste buds. Use a mixture of red and green gooseberries in your gooseberry traybake to add a touch of colour.
Preparation time 15 minutes. Cooking time 40 minutes. Serves 16-20. Ingredients
- 500g self-raising flour
- 500g light brown sugar
- 250g butter
- 3 eggs
- 500g soured cream
For the topping
- 250g fresh gooseberries, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 160C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- For the base: Mix the flour and sugar and ‘rub in’ the butter until you have a sandy texture.
- Spread half of the mixture into the lined tray and press down gently until you have an even layer.
- Add the sour cream and eggs to the remaining flour mix and stir until combined, with only a few lumps remaining.
- For the topping: Pour the mixture over the base in the tin and spread evenly. Top with the chopped gooseberries, gently sprinkling evenly over the surface.
- Place in the over at 160C and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and set.