The wonderful combination of a buttery biscuit base topped with a zingy layer of lime in these zesty little key lime bars will wake up your taste buds and leave you wanting more and more!
Key Lime Bars
Makes 12 | Preparation time 20 mins | Baking time 40 mins (20 mins followed by 20 mins)
For the base:
- 200g plain flour, sifted
- 120g butter, cubed and softened
- 60g caster sugar
For the topping:
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- Juice and zest of 2 Key limes
- Green food colouring, optional
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Line the base and sides of a 20cm square baking tin. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/ 160˚C fan/gas mark 4.
- For the base, blitz the flour, butter and sugar together in a food processer to form a crumbly mixture. Tip the mixture into the base of the prepared tin and press down with the back of a spoon to compact and level. Bake for 20 mins then set aside.
- For the topping, whisk all of the ingredients together until combined and even adding a little green food colouring if desired. Pour the mixture over the base then bake for 20 mins until the topping has just set. Allow to cool fully in the tin.
- Once cold, remove from the tin, dust liberally with icing sugar then use a sharp knife to cut into 12 bars.
* For lemon bars simply replace the zest and juice of 2 limes with the zest and juice of 1 large lemon.